BioGaia Study Highlights – Chronic periodontitis
Clinical efficacy of probiotic as an adjunctive therapy to non-surgical periodontal treatment of chronic periodontitis:
A systematic review and meta-analysis
Martin-Cabezas R, Davideau JL, Tenenbaum H, Huck O.
J Clin Periodontol. 2016;43:520–530.
The meta-analysis supports the adjunctive use of L. reuteri Prodentis to scaling and root planing (SRP) in chronic periodontitis treatment, especially in deep pockets.
- Tekçe M, İnce G, Gürsoy H, Ipçi SD, Cakar G, Kadir T, Yilmaz S. Clinical and microbiological effects of probiotic lozenges in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: a 1-year follow-up study. J Clin Periodontol. 2015;42:363-372.
- Ince G, Gürsoy H, Ipçi ŞD, Cakar G, Emekli-Alturfan E, Yilmaz S. Clinical and biochemical evaluation of Lactobacillus reuteri containing lozenges as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal therapy in chronic periodontitis. J Periodontol. 2015;86:746-754. (Additional results of the Tekçe 2015 trial.)
- Teughels W, Durukan A, Ozcelik O, Pauwels M, Quirynen M, Haytac MC. Clinical and icrobiological effects of Lactobacillus reuteri probiotics in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: a randomized placebo-controlled study. J Clin Periodontol. 2013;40:1025–1035
- Vivekananda MR, Vandana KL, Bhat KG. Effect of the probiotic Lactobacilli reuteri (Prodentis) in the management of periodontal disease: a preliminary randomized clinical study. J Oral Microbiol. 2010;2: 5344
Hierarchy of the level of evidence
This hierarchy of evidence pyramid can be used as a guideline to evaluate the strength of evidence available, for informed decision making for different treatments.
- Meta-analyses are at the very top of the evidence hierarchy: a meta-analysis will thoroughly examine a number of valid studies on a topic and combine the results using the accepted statistical methodology as if they were from one large study.
- The strength of the evidence decreases as one descends down the pyramid.
- Owens DK. Analytic Tools for Public Health Decision Making. Med Decis Making, 2002;22 (5, Suppl.):S3-S10.
- Tomlin G, Borgetto B. Research Pyramid: A new evidence-based practice model for occupational therapy. American Journal of Occupational Therapy 2011;65:189–196.