BioGaia Study Highlights – Chronic periodontitis
Clinical and biochemical evaluation of Lactobacillus reuteri containing lozenges as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal therapy in chronic periodontitis
Ince G, Gürsoy H, İpçi ŞD, Cakar G, Emekli-Alturfan E, Yılmaz S.
J Periodontol. 2015;86:746-754.
- Pocket depth, plaque, and gingival indices, and bleeding on probing were all significantly improved (p<0.05) compared to placebo, at all time points
- Significant changes up to day 180 of cytokines in gingival crevicular fluid: reduced MMP-8 and increased TIMP-1 levels (p <0.05)
- Attachment gain was significantly greater in the L. reuteri Prodentis group compared with controls,
on days 90, 180, and 360 (p<0.001)
Lozenges with L. reuteri Prodentis may be a useful supplement in moderately deep pockets of patients with chronic periodontitis
- Study design: Prospective, randomized, double-blind and placebo-controlled
- Subjects: Thirty (30) adults with chronic periodontitis, mean age 42 years
- Dosage: 2 lozenges daily (4 x 108CFU/day)
- Duration: Probiotic supplementation for 21 days, initiated after periodontal therapy. Clinical and biochemical evaluation at baseline and days 21, 90, 180 and 360.
- Primary endpoint: Pocket depth reduction
- Secondary endpoints: Changes in plaque index, gingival index, bleeding on probing, gingival crevicular fluid volume, attachment gain, and changes in MMP-8 (matrix metalloproteinase-8) and TIMP-1 (tissue inhibitors of matrix metalloproteinase-1). The balance between these two cytokines are essential for the degradation and remodeling of the extracellular matrix proteins.
- Tekçe M et al. Clinical and microbiological effects of probiotic lozenges in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: a 1-year followup study. J Clin Periodontol. 2015;42:363-372.
- Teughels W et al. Clinical and microbiological effects of Lactobacillus reuteri probiotics in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: a randomized placebo-controlled study. J Clin Periodontol. 2013;40:1025–1035.
- Martin-Cabezas R et al. Clinical efficacy of probiotic as an adjunctive therapy to non-surgical periodontal treatment of chronic periodontitis:
A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Periodontol. 2016;43:520–530.