1. What is the difference between Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio and Geistlich Bio-Gide®?
The surface of Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio has been made firmer when dry to facilitate periodontal applications. Second, the outer blister pack of Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio includes four sterile water repellent templates. These can be placed repeatedly in the region of the defect to allow customization of the template before trimming the membrane to the precise shape.
2. Have inflammatory reactions been associated with Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio?
Inflammation is a possible complication, which may occur with any surgery. However, the biocompatibility of Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio has been verified in clinical studies and the incidence of complications is low.
3. Is it possible to have an allergic reaction to Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio?
As Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio is made of collagen, allergic and inflammatory tissue reactions cannot be excluded. However, this is extremely rare.
4. What happens if the membrane is applied with the rough surface towards the soft tissue?
The bilayer structure of Geistlich BioGide® Perio has a compact and porous surface. The compact layer of Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio exhibits higher cell occlusiveness than the rough, porous layer, preventing the downgrowth of epithelial cells. If the membrane is applied with the porous surface placed toward the soft tissue, integration of the bone cells may take place more slowly. However, it is not necessary to remove the membrane.
5. Can Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio be re-sterilized?
No. Autoclaving or hot-air sterilization irreversibly destroys the collagen structure. The physical properties of the membrane are changed and the consistency of the product becomes like parchment paper. In addition the product is not approved for re-sterilization and therefore may not be used.
6. Does the membrane have to be secured with fixation screws or pins?
As Geistlich Bio-Gide® Perio adheres very well to the defect, it is normally not necessary to utilize fixation screws or pins. However, fixation is possible if required.